Many good aspects, but massively overpriced
on Jan 13, 2018
About half way through our 4-night stay at Noname Guesthouse, it became clear that it’s bit like marmite. Some people love it. Some people were really not very impressed.
So, the good points first....
(1) Good location in the centre of town, just 2 minutes from the beach.
(2) Decent (vegetarian) breakfast included in the room rate. Service can be a bit slow if they’re busy.
(3) Relaxed, almost hostel-like, atmosphere.
(4) Nice open air space workspace on the roof.
(5) Help yourself to bottled water refills.
Things which need flagging up:
(1) The bed is ridiculously hard. Not much softer than the concrete floor.
(2) They won’t clean your room/change towels unless you ask - and leave the key with the cleaner.
(3) Shower was good, but water was only hot maybe 50% of the time.
(4) It was incredibly noisy on 2 of the 4 nights we were there. Noise from the street, the bar next door, people on balconies - impossible to sleep until very very late.
(5) There’s no aircon (which was actually fine).
(6) The room is secured with a padlock and key. Not a great system if there’s 2 of you and you don’t do everything together.
(7) If you want a taxi, you have to pay in cash to the guesthouse, not the driver, presumably because they take commission. The one we took was rather more uncomfortable than normal, although the driver was nice.
(8) I didn’t manage to log on to the free WiFi the whole time I was there (4 nights), so I can only assume it’s not great! If you want faster WiFi, you have to pay extra each day. My friend did so one day. It was better, but the connection would regularly drop out.
(9) The place is ludicrously overpriced for what you actually get. It’s a room which you’d normally pay $30-35, but here it’s like $80-85.
Noname caters mainly to an alternative (with a small ‘a’) lifestyle clientele, predominantly Russian. And they seem to like the set up, the vegetarian food, the yoga image. Other guests maybe not so much. During my stay I overheard other English-speaking guests complaining about the things I’ve mentioned, but mostly about the price. One mother and son checked out early after one night.
The Russian couple who own/run it are really nice, as are the guests, so my comments are in no way directed at them personally, but are merely a reflection of my own personal experience. All-in-all, I would’ve been ok with a hard bed, two sleepless nights, having to pay extra for WiFi, etc etc, if the room was priced appropriately, but I couldn’t help feeling I’d paid double what the overall experience was worth, so the rating is based on the price paid.
Super friendly staff and amazing food
on Jan 11, 2018
The staff (all Russians) are really super kind and will go out of their way to help you with anything- starting from Ella who works at reception, and Alex the owner who is always around, to the cooks who make amazing breakfast ! The place is super clean and quiet. I had lunch once and it was super delicious and healthy! Thank you so much and hope to be back next year !!
Gorgeous guest house where you're made to feel part of the family
on Dec 13, 2017
I stayed here on my first three nights in Arambol. Alex and the team made me feel incredibly welcome.
Very clean and quiet rooms with a gorgeous restaurant. Right in the heart of town. It's on the mainstrip down to the beach so if you are a lightsleeper you might need ear plugs but this is India so it's the usual noise!
Excellent food, clean, comfortable rooms
on Dec 12, 2017
I still stay in this guesthouse until the 16.12.2017 and I must say this guesthouse is really to recommend. The rooms are clean and comfortable, the bathrooms have defenitly hot water (which is not always the case in India), the location is very central, although a bit noisy, the owners and the whole staff is very kind and helpful. But what is really amazing is the food (breakfast and one menu throughout the day), very healthy, vegetarian and a little bit of fusion.
good vibes, clean rooms, sweet staff!
on Nov 28, 2017
Stayed here for 4 nights. Neat rooms, some with awesome view, laid-back atmosphere and lovely helpful and sweet staff. They really made our stay in Goa the best! Delicious breakfast included. Scooters for rent, but stepping outside you're only a few minutes away from the beach. Next to Main Street so there's a lot of (scooter)noise coming, but didn't bother me. Will definitely come back here on my next trip to Goa!