on Dec 11, 2017
one of the best places serving veg food,their pizzas are great wood fired,with fresh toppings. turkish pizzza,greek goddess and saraya special were the few ones we tried and enjoyed all of them.pumpkin and coconut soup is nice served with bread and salad.the saraya falafel was great in taste,but could have been served hot.the fiery hummus wasnt upto the mark.mushroom bites were ok,coolers were good too.u can carry your own alcohol here as they dont serve!fr desserts tried the choco icecream n custard apple both were good!
A different side of Goa
on Oct 3, 2017
A beautiful and peaceful setting in the middle of bustling touristy Goa. places like these are a rarity in today's world where people always look for cheap booze and luxury in Goa. Lovely dogs and cats- misinterpreted by a few people as disturbing..Lol.. Everyone is a family in Saraya, including the animals here - a concept that some people don't have the capability to understand or appreciate.. This is NOT a place where you can just party and go crazy.. instead, just take a moment to move away from all the materialistic stuff and bask in the serenity of pure nature.. The food is enviously awesome.. The guest rooms are beautiful with very basic setting.. Saraya takes some bold steps towards being an Ecostay dedicated to care for our environment.. So people expecting luxuries like AC, GENERATOR, INSTANT HOT WATER etc, this place is not for you The informal setting and mood is such a pleasant change from the "professional hospitality industry".. In short - Just Beautiful.
on Sep 25, 2017
The room was designed and decorated beautifully, and was exactly as described... a mud hut! However, perhaps the soft furnishings had been left inside for a time prior to arrival, as they smelt damp. This unfortunately exacerbated my partner's asthma when laying in bed. Also, the mosquito net did not fit the bed and had a huge hole in it and we were bitten badly!
The location was very good, close to shops and restaurants. Though if you have not been before, it can take a while to find! It is not immediately obvious when travelling along the main road through Sangolda, as it is set back from the road.
The staff are friendly and helpful, especially with arranging scooter hire and taxis. The food and drink was organic, locally sourced from their farm and vegetarian, with the option for gluten free... it was delicious! There are no meat options or mainstream drinks (coca-cola etc.), and although this was not an issue to us, this is one aspect of 'eco-living' that they uphold well.
Another aspect of 'eco-living' that Saraya implements, is not flushing toilet roll, instead they ask you to put it in the bin! We are not sure why, but the issue was that the bins did not have lids. Ultimately we found the whole concept a bit awkward!
Overall, for somewhere that advertises and prides themselves on being 'eco-friendly', they do a pretty good job. However, in today's society, with its accompanying needs, this is ultimately difficult to fully achieve, and we felt that it showed here.
The Nightmarish Stay
on Aug 30, 2017
Had booked the mud house for 3 nights basis all the good reviews and the nice pictures. I am pretty tolerable with most places but this place actually earned the dubious distinction of being the only ever accommodation that I moved out of before my checkout date. Below are my reasons in the sequence they happened:
1. I booked this for a stay in August which is the monsoon time in Goa. Realized my mistake the moment I got to my room. Started sweating and staying in was very difficult if you are not used to the humidity and being out of Ac environments. This was my fault of course. What was not my fault though were the frequent power failures and a lack of a generator at their end. There was about a stretch of 2.5 hours when there was no power in the morning and it was just impossible to stay in the room. First of all if you are in this business, you ought to have a generator and if you don't you need to warn customers!
2. As I spent more time in the room, I realized that it hadn't been checked properly before checking me in. The fan regulator wasn't working, some of the linen had stains on it. The worst though was the geyser. I was told it was on solar and would take some time for the hot water to come but it seemed like a scam in the end. I have a solar at home and it takes about 5-10 mins for the pipe water to clear before the hot water starts. In this case I waited for no less than 40 minutes but to no avail. I had a cold water bath in the end. Sneezing till now.
3. In the evening I went to the lobby area which they advertise as a space to chill, work or do your thing and perhaps it would have been, had it not been for a bunch of misbehaved dogs and cats. Every time I tried to sit there and do some work, i had a cat or a dog inadvertently jumping on me or the laptop. I decided to leave and go sit in the cafe and eat something. Unfortunately the menace is not just limited to the lobby as the dogs roam around freely in the cafe as well. It was sickening to have dogs bickering for food around the table. At one point one of them even jumped up on the table to claw at the food when finally the cafe guy came and shooshed them of. I am not anti pets or anything but to have dirty animals mongering around where you work, eat is definitely unhygienic and uncomfortable.
4. Those looking to party or be out till late, I warn you not to. I went out with my friends and got back about 1.30 at night. It was raining heavily and to my surprise, the place was completely shut down and pitch dark and there was not a single light. Considering one has to walk about 500 meters from the entrance to reach their rooms, it was astonishing why a single light was not there to lit the pathways. It was really difficult to not fall while trying to figure out the stairs in the dark. As if that wasn't enough, all the dogs came running and barking aggressively making me almost stumble and fall. After reaching midway I found that they had also pad locked the gate which leads to the backyard area where the rooms are. I tried to call the reception number but the person had switched it off leaving people like us to fend for themselves. It took me 30 minutes to go around the property and figure out another route to get to my room and in the process was completely drenched.
5. Was quite tired by all the ordeal and slept off only to be awakened by mosquito bites and crawling earthworms on my body even though I was sleeping inside the mosquito net. I know its an eco stay and these kind of things would be there but is it so hard to provide for a mosquito repellant in the room? And what about the earthworms? They can be very dangerous if they get into your ears. I couldn't sleep after that. Spent the whole night awake.
Needless to say, I booked another hotel and moved out the very next morning wasting 2 days of booking amount. If after this you still feel like romancing in the tree houses, do yourself a favor and find some other place and in case you are reading this after booking, all the best :)
Rustic wood oven pizza café
on Aug 19, 2017
A beautiful place absolutely rustic chilled out ...
No stress as to how Ur dressed.
Nice wood oven pizzas. .
Must try farm pizza ..
Supprizinly lovely lemonade ..
And Channa chawal ...
Rustic ...green ..chilled out ... Peacefull ..