Best Place for an Family Or Couples Stay
on Jan 3, 2018
Best place to stay when you are on look for an Place with decent Privacy, Pet friendly Place and Food was also Good.. We As a Joint Family of 18 members Stayed there Including two of our Pets.
The Resort Manager Mr: Sathish, was very Helpful and informative... He ensured that we had a Pleasant Stay at the Resort, we have Beach on the just Opposite
on Nov 6, 2017
We behave been regular to this place from our first visit ... Beautiful rooms and landscape to enjoy safe and secured with ur family and kids .. and yes it's 10 km from mahabalipuram ( which is a not big issue ). Experience the ambience and service provided by the staff and management .. excellent.we were guided perfectly and in timing .. and special thanks to MR.Sathish ( manager VARUNA INN..) he took best care of the guests ...
on Oct 16, 2017
We went there as a small group of 19 for a weekend, excellent hospitality and baby friendly. The swimming pool is clean and the water is filtered periodically. There is a small lawn and it can be used by kids for playing.
Highly Overpriced, Unprofessional and a Filthy hotel
on Oct 12, 2017
Issues we faced with this Hotel during our stay on 30th September, 2017:
1) This is almost 10 kms away from Mahabalipuram towards Chennai.
2) This is no way a resort (as mentioned in the website) just an improvised lodge or a cheap motel.
3) The property is located on the other side of the ECR main road and nowhere beach is found.
4) We were promised 3 cottages but 2 families were forced to accommodate into a flat with two bedrooms and we got 1 cottage.
5) Only when we arrived at the hotel from Pondicherry around 2:00pm, they started cleaning with a broom and a bucket.
6) Though it is mentioned in the hotel website, only when we persisted that it’s too hot outside they offered welcome drink on a paper cup for all of us as we were desperately waiting to checkin in the afternoon.
7) Once we entered the washroom of one of the bed rooms, to freshen up, we got a strong and stinking smell of a dead animal, possibly a rat stuck somewhere deep inside. My friend’s family had to lock the washroom and used our washroom the entire period of stay. The entire staff from the hotel tried their level best for 6 hours to clear-off the smell by emptying all the room fresheners, phenyls and naphthalene balls. At the end the manager gave up and acted like a nerd there is no smell, whereas people were about to puke.
8) The rooms were all covered with wall papers which mean plastering was never done
9) The size of the bedroom is very small around 10x12 feet.
10)There was no space in the room to put an extra bed, so one of the family members had to sleep in the wooden sofa in the lobby.
11) In the middle of the night we had to wake up due to huge noise and found that it was raining outside. Then we realized the roofing was made of tin and not concrete.
12)There was no backup power in the hotel and candles were given to us as a backup; Luckily there was a power outage only for few hours in the early morning due to heavy rains so we did not suffer much.
13)In one of the rooms, the water was seeping from the flooring/tiles. Even the manager agreed and took a photo
14)This made the entire room misty due to AC as the floors and mirror were all filled with water droplets
15)There was no Wi-Fi available in the rooms though mentioned in the website
16)We got towels which were not properly washed and someone had wiped rust on it.
17)A go-down to keep cement/stuff/junk is constructed in the Car parking space between the so called suite and cottage.
18)There is no covered parking. Also there was no place for car parking and one of the car had to be kept in the passage.
19)The grass in between the stones (as shown in the website) are not thick and we were about to get stuck and sprain our ankles very badly whenever we walked.
20)The swimming pool never had full water or any filtration system. They were using the same water for construction and gardening purpose. Once anyone likes to jump in they'll switch on the pump and 1st the kid's pool will fill and then the adult pool. It’s more or less a fountain reservoir and not a swimming pool in true sense.
21) Also frogs were roaming around the pool and very unhygienic.
22)The Kitchen is no better than a roadside eatery. The food was served in the room itself as there was no space for guests to sit outside the kitchen as it was very small.
23)The rice we were served was other day’s and stale as smell was coming. The paneer gravy was also stale and had a lot of added vinegar as a preservative. The roti and dal was really good so we had to settle with that.
24) There was only one over-aged security manning the property 24x7
25) There was no water in the morning so we called up the reception and then the security switched on the pump. We were lucky since power was there.
Apart from all the ones mentioned above, the only good thing about the hotel is the restaurant staff. They were very courteous and polite.
I am publishing this review so that your holiday is not spoiled as ours. We had booked this hotel through Yatra.com and once we raised our concerns with them and since the hotelier was adamant even after providing proofs, they had immediately blacklisted this hotel. This hotel - Varuna Inn Banquets and Resort is no longer available in their platform.
Nice resort for a small group hangout
on May 19, 2017
This cute little place is located approximately 10 km away from Mamallapuram on the way to Chennai. The resort is pretty new and everything was extremely clean and well maintained. There are about 6-7 rooms (all fitted with A/Cs, LCD TV), a multipurpose hall and an open air theatre. The hall is air conditioned and they charged us 1000 Rs per hour for usage. There is a lawn which can be used to play outdoor games like volleyball, badminton and cricket. The staff were friendly and helpful throughout our stay.
We were a group of 35 and selected this place for a corporate team outing and it did not disappoint. Owing to the summer heat, we booked the multi purpose hall. It has bluetooth sound system (which can be used to pair our devices), a decent stage and can accommodate around 50-60 people. After a couple of hours of indoor fun, we spent some time playing games in the lawn. The lawn is the size of a badminton court and volley ball court placed back to back. It is small compared to what other resorts offer in ECR, but it was sufficient for our use. The recreation room offers a pool table and carrom. There was a spa available, but not sure if anyone really would prefer to use it. There is also a mini swimming pool that is included in the rate.
Please note that this is not a beach facing resort, so there is no direct beach access. You can however request the manager and he will arrange for a escort to take you to a nearby beach which they are familiar with. The beach is around 2 km from the resort.
We reached the resort around 3 PM and were greeted with a welcome drink. After we finished with our games, snacks and tea/coffee was provided.
The one big letdown was the timing of the dinner. We had planned to finish dinner and depart by 8:30 PM, but even after 8, there was no sign of dinner. When we checked with the manager he informed us that the usual dinner time was 9 PM, even though we had informed them of our departure plans. After some hot argument, he agreed that they made a mistake. The food however was wholesome and tasted good. The buffet is served under the night sky in the lawn.
To reach this place, look for the TN state government sea water desalination plant in ECR - the resort is right opposite to the facility.
I am giving the resort the benefit of the doubt, so rating it ****, otherwise would have rated *** because of the goof up over dinner timing.