Worst Resort - Fraud Management
on Jan 2, 2018
There are bad places, then there are really bad places and then there are terrible places run by frauds and cheats. This resort is just that. Located exactly on the banks of Lake Chillika, you CANNOT see the lake from any part of the resort. It is at a 100 mts distance, which is actually not the problem but one the many things they promise and show in their gallery of images but are all lies.
Knowing this is based out of a village in Orissa, I had little or probably no expectations. Since I was travelling with family and my mother found this online, I decided to go ahead with the booking and made an advance online payment. BIGGEST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE! Even though I read the many bad reviews on Google, Tripadvisor reviews seemed positive. I expected a raw experience, amidst nature, but, what I didn't experience is the following:
1) Cottages stink. They are dirty and I mean really, really, really dirty. And, no, all places in Orissa aren't dirty. The bathrooms have never been washed with a disinfectant. You could easily get Urinary Tract infection.
2) The food for breakfast was Puri sabji. Yes, that's it. Apparently a per person package for INR 3000 can get you only that.
3) The whole resort is littered with alchohol bottles, the area outside the resort is littered with plastic bags and their dinning space is located very close to this dumping area.
4) For lunch they served fish curry (without removing the scales and since I am a Bengali, I know my fish), also the curry only had fish heads. The rest of the fish was over. There were only 6 guests in the whole resort and even for them the food fell short. We requested them to make omelettes instead.
5)Service quality overall was poor. Ask to speak to a manager then they give you some Mr. Panda's number who is in Bhubaneswar (300 kms away from the property) and when you speak to him you realise he is well aware of the issues but apparently he is not the resort manager and he is only a marketing and sales guy. So yea, lots of lies.
6) The Chillika boat ride is so drab and they don't show most things they promised. A regular chillika boat ride is better. In fact the day tourists were getting such brilliant boat packages but we have already become a part of this scam.
During lunch we (a family for four) and a mid aged couple created a huge scene about the food. In fact they cut short their stay of two nights and moved out along with us.
Because we created a scene about the food, we got them to prepare chicken and prawns for us during dinner. So the dinner menu was as follows: Chicken, Prawn, roti, rice, 1 veg dish and that's it. No sweet dish, nothing. You cant even order extra because they dint have the supplies.
I have been many resorts in India, and especially these jungle resorts around southern India are charged at a similar rate but they have so much to offer. The least being cleanliness.
If at least one of you change your mind about booking this place then our wasted New Year trip will finally come to some use. These guys really need to witness lack of visitors to actually do something about this god forsaken place.
Great Location.....Badly in need to good management
on Feb 20, 2017
The property is in a great location right on the banks of the Chilika. Nice and clean cottages. The management really needs to step up though. Its the small things that are amiss
1. Alcohol bottles everywhere including the the sand outside the resort. Clean it up and you have a welcoming place for friends and family.
2. A/c was not working in one cottage and the geyser in another.
3. Drinking water missing in the rooms and we had to ask for towels.
4. Food took forever to be made and served even though we placed the order 3 hours in advance. People were literally standing outside the kitchen waiting for the food.
5. its a beautiful property but the plants could have been watered and looked aftered.
This place definitely has potential but it needs the attention to detail and the staff need to be trained. The staff was really sweet but very lost.
Robinson Crusoe experience in comfort
on Jan 30, 2017
The resort is hidden by trees. Coming from the main road, the road becomes unpaved as you approach the resort.
First time visitor should ask direction from the manager of the resort, after you deviate from the main road. You can easily get lost as there are no signs.
If you like wild life such as dolphins, Siberian geese ,this is a suitable place to start from. You can enjoy beer while watching numerous stars( but bring your own beer, otherwise a houseboy has to go 10 km to the nearest seller)
Everything is basic here. You can wash yourself with a bucket of water( shower will finish hot water within minutes).
8 cottage houses are spacious. You can enjoy yoga on the floor. Check if a small window of your bathroom is closed. Otherwise various insects will be tempted to enter.
Food menu is limited. But "blue crabs" we had for dinner were delicious. Breakfast is Indian style food. If you need bread and jam, it is better to bring them. Also if you are fussy about tea or coffee, bring your own.
Staff are friendly and helpful, although some house boys don't speak English.
If you prepare well for your comfort,this place is a paradise. You can enjoy quietness , beautiful views and delightful boat rides. Although we stayed only 2 nights, I could have stayed a week very comfortably.