on Sep 25, 2019
Mixed experience. Great location but not sure this place merits 4 star. The photos do not appear to reflect the reality of our experience. Our room appeared to have been assembled from random trips to m bricolage. Glasses not cleaned from one day to the next. Be aware that it is a good 20 mins walk to the centre of St Jean de Luz and to reasonably priced wine. The food is v good in the restaurant (but wine ridiculously priced) and the serving staff are very friendly and helpful. If only the same could be said for the two ‘experienced’ staff on reception. (The younger person is helpful). Cheer up, we’re only paying 300 Euros a night to keep you both in a job!
Good hotel to use as a base for exploring the area
on Sep 22, 2019
Whilst it was a nice hotel with a lovely terrace for dinner, we were disappointed with the minuscule size of our double room.
Nowhere to put anything down, it was difficult, even for one night. The staff were all very efficient and we enjoyed a pleasant dinner with friends on the terrace, a lovely summer evening.
Hotel had a nice pool for relaxing by and nice walks in both directions - about 15min walk into the lovely town where they have a great open and covered market. The river also made a pretty walk.
Good base for visiting Biarritz, Bayonne and the Basque Country.
on Aug 23, 2019
the pool is too small in consideration of number of guest and the water is too cold, there are no deckchairs at the pool and the space around the pool is limited ,the breakfast is too poor and with very low quality of foods , rude staff.....no need to come back. is a pitty as the location is really good.
Great pool and location. Disappointing room and service.
on Aug 23, 2019
We thought La Reserve had some excellent features, but overall our stay was marred by issues with our room and some poor service.
Here’s what we liked:
- The pool. A kids pool (1 metre deep) and a separate (very deep) infinity pool in an attractive location in the grounds with plenty of sunloungers. There was also a kids play area on the grass nearby (but not too near) which worked well for us.
- The location. The hotel overlooks the ocean and coast towards Biarritz, views are attractive but not spectacular. It is a pleasant and pretty 15-20 minute walk on an easy paved path into St Jean de Luz and there are walks to other beaches in the other direction too. We didn’t need to move the car during our stay.
- The restaurant. We had a pleasant (but expensive) meal in the restaurant. Food for the kids was excellent.
- Breakfast. A very good selection at the buffet breakfast - although it was an extra cost on top of our room rate.
- Room decor and housekeeping. Our apartment was elegantly decorated and clean with good storage (although with insufficient coat hangers). The little kitchen was useful, but only suitable for fairly basic cooking.
Here’s what we didn’t like:
- Room location. We booked our room on booking.com which claimed that our apartment was on the garden level of the property and would have a terrace with a sea view. Having looked at pictures of the property online, I assumed that this would mean that our apartment would open on to the gardens, but this was not the case. Our apartment opened on to a rather bleak paved terrace decorated with a large number of dehydrated and weed-infested potted trees. There was no access to the gardens from the terrace - to reach the pool and gardens you had to walk through two car parks. The sea could only be viewed from a small part of our living room. Our bedroom looked over the car park at ground level. I complained that the reality of our room was somewhat different from the description on our booking confirmation. The man at reception was mildly sympathetic. He offered to move us in a couple of days time, but as we were only there for a short stay it wasn’t worth it. No other gesture of goodwill was offered. I would recommend extreme caution when booking a room here to make sure you get the sort of room you think you are getting - especially if you’re using booking.com.
- Service often slow and unhelpful. We received some good service during our stay, particularly in the restaurant, but some was shocking. Service in the bar was painfully slow and we had some weird interactions with reception regarding the laundry service. Staff seemed inflexible in their approach - it often felt like following procedures came first, and serving customers came second.
- WiFi. Very very very slow.
Oh no, a new chef- read on
on Jul 29, 2019
Another stay at this lovely resort hotel.
We were disappointed that Chef Fábrice had departed.
BUT, went on to enjoy the new chef’s (Pierre Boffo) take on the Basque Cuisine.
Really very good. All that we tasted was great. Well designed, contrasts of texture,
and great tastes. Do eat in the restaurant and you won’t be disappointed.